Keeping your home safe this Christmas
If you’re going away, remember:
- It is important that you leave an impression that someone is home.
- Redirect your mail or have a neighbour empty your box daily, this includes news papers.
- Do not leave garbage bins on the gutter.
- Ensure your lawns are mowed before you leave and that it is maintained if you are away for an extended period.
- Have a couple of lamps in the home on a timer giving the impression that someone is home.
- Tell relatives that you are going away and when you are returning.
- Ensure that all doors and windows are secured including your screen doors and that all locks are in good working order.
- Do not advertise on social media that you are away, only share with close relationships.
- Ensure all electrical devises that do not need to be on are switched off at the power points.
- Ensure that any pool gates are secured and furniture are away from the fence to reduce the chance of a climbable area.
- Ensure that any and all CCTV cameras are free from webs and debris.
- If you have back to base monitoring, inform your provider that you will be away.
- Install sensor lights around the external of your home.
- Record serial numbers of valuables and take photos of jewellery.
- Ensure all gardens tools are locked away so they cant be used as a tool to gain entry.
- Ensure that your street number is displayed clearly for emergency services.
- Turn the volume on your home phone down so it can not be heard from outside
Want to get even more tips?
Subscribe to our newsletter now and receive updates on all aspects of commercial security and property services.